The Ballytobin Foundation is a private foundation that was established in 1992 by two founding directors, Joan Tobin and the late Brian Michael Tobin. It is devoted to the support of arts and culture and community development in Ontario. The Foundation has been registered with Revenue Canada since its inception. In 2010 its base was moved to Kingston, Ontario, and it has a Board of Directors drawn from the community.
The name has its origin with the history of the Tobin family in Ireland. Ballytobin is the name of a small, unpretentious parish in County Kilkenny, in the barony of Kells. Ballytobin is also the name of the Tobin homestead. The land was confiscated during the Cromwellian invasions of 1653, but the house and small chapel still exist today.
Throughout its evolving history, the Tobin family crest has always incorporated a pattern of three oak leaves. In creating the Foundation logo, graphic designer Richard Male looked to Tobin family history and focused on this oak leaf motif.
The stained glass graphics used in this website are derived from stained glass hanging in the home of Joan Tobin. This beautiful artwork was created specifically for the Tobin home by renowned stained glass master, Gerald Tooke (1930-2011).